The start menu is the primary location in your system where you will find everything. You can find apps, files, and settings by using the start button. Cortana is another important part of your system. It is a virtual assistant. Cortana is specially designed to get things done. In case Start menu and Cortana aren’t working, you can fix them.
Start Menu and Cortana Aren’t Working
The first thing you should try when you face this error is restarting your device. In most of the cases, this works. If required, you can restart the device a couple of times. This is not a long-term solution. But for immediate results, its better you try this method. Sometimes anti-virus on your device also creates such problems. Systems with Avast anti-virus face this problem most of the time. Check the steps given below to solve the issue.
- First, look for the control panel application on the desktop. If you are unable to find it, use the start menu’s search box.
- Open the control panel and select “Programs”.
- The first section would be for “Programs and Features”. From this section, select the “uninstall a program” option.
- A list of installed programs on your system will appear. Double-tap on the anti-virus to uninstall it.
See More: How to Fix Err_Empty_Response
Start Menu and Cortana not Working Windows 10
- Right-click on the windows icon. The icon signifies the start button and appears to the bottom-left corner of the screen.
- Tap the “Command Prompt (Admin)” option to open the command line.
- Type the command given below in the command prompt.
- After entering the command, restart the system.
Start Menu and Cortana not Working Fix
If you have Avast anti-virus and you do not want to uninstall it, try this method:
- Log in to your system and open the “My Computer” folder.
- You will be able to see the drives on your PC. Click on the “C” drive to open it.
- Open “Program files” and look for “Avast” folder.
- Open the folder and run the “Avast UI” on your PC.
- Now, click on the settings option that appears on the bottom-left corner of the screen.
- Tap on the update button to start updating the anti-virus.
- Restart your PC to apply the updates successfully. This would fix the start menu and cortana aren’t working.
Also, check: How to Delete Songs from iPhone
Start Menu and Cortana Not Working
You will have to use Powershell for solving this issue. Windows Powershell is a command-line shell that helps in automating administrative tasks. It also helps in configuration management of the system.
- First, press the “CTRL”, “ALT” and “DELETE” keys at the same time.
- On the task manager look for “File” menu. The menu would appear in the top section of the window.
- From the drop-down, select the “Run new task” option. Create new task window will open.
- On the new window’s text field, type “Powershell”. Tap on the ok button that appears below the text field.
- The list of system tasks will now have “Windows Powershell” too.
- Right-click on the shell and select the “open file location” option.
- A new window will open with Windows Powershell already highlighted. Right-click and run the shell as administrator.
- Type the command given below in the Powershell.
- Once you enter the command, the processing will start.
- Reboot the system to check the result.